Thinking about Twitter

I love to read about how people interpret and use tools.  This one from Jakes was another big conversation.  I commented early, not really getting into the defense or torching of twitter itself- I guess it hit me in a different way because I had just watched the debate.  So when I went back to it to read the flow of comments,  I had a different reaction.  I do enjoy reading what people have to say about things like twitter, but I don’t like the idea that people think they know why I personally use twitter.  I don’t like assumptions like I am announcing my posts because I want to be somebody in the world of twitter.  I don’t like feeling guilty when I reach out on my twitter network to ask a question, or send out an invitation to join a project that my class is doing.  Isn’t that what it’s for?  I want to learn from others, I like knowing that I have an army of experts on a variety of topics just waiting to be bothered with a question by me:)  Could I go find the answer myself?  Sure I could, and I often do that.  I know that as a learner it will benefit me to figure it out myself, but sometimes I just get plain stuck, and I need help.  I also realize that if I can get a quick answer on twitter to a problem that would take me an hour to figure out, then isn’t my time worth the quick twit?  I think for me personally, it’s silly NOT to use twitter!  Why wouldn’t I want to ask KarenJan an assistive tech. question about a student?  Why wouldn’t I want to ask ColleenK to help me solve a problem when creating a new math tech project for my kids?  Why wouldn’t I share what I know about differentiation if people ask?  Again, isn’t that what it’s all about?  If not for twitter and SL, how would I have ever found these people?  How would I find classrooms to connect with all over the world?  Why should I feel bad about using Twitter to benefit my kids, my classroom, and myself?  Truth be told, I don’t feel bad.  I will continue to participate, ask questions, announce posts, and squeeze all the use out of twitter that I possibly can.  I am certian the benefits will outweigh the consequences.

4 thoughts on “Thinking about Twitter

1. I am so glad I saw this before I saw David Jakes original post. His post just angered me.

I am a true believer in twitter. I do use it to self-promote at times…I like to let people know I am streaming a show they might want to be part of. (And I am ready to back up my talk at NECC). I do use it to shallowly connect with my “friends”…sometimes I just need to tell someone that my daughter is driving me crazy or I spent my day doing yardwork.

But mostly, I use twitter to connect to the strongest network I have right now. And yes I also read and respond to blogs, use delicious and link to others, etc. But twitter gives me instant notification of online PD opportunities and quick assistance with tech problems.

Most importantly, though, twitter lets me feel connected. And, in education, that is almost unheard of. I spent too many years in my classroom alone, with the door closed, never connecting with anyone. Twitter allows me to have others to work with, share with, connect with. I’m sorry if some people don’t appreciate how difficult that is for educators to find.

2. With all of the time we spend encouraging”self-esteem” in elementary school, I can’t think of the type of “self-promotion” I see on Twitter as wrong. I LIKE knowing what my virtual colleagues have written even before it shows up in my Google Reader!

I am the only teacher/librarian in my K-12 district and one of a handful in our entire BOCES. I need the connectedness that Twitter gives me – and the fun, help, sympathy, and encouragement I receive there.

I have a family, I have a life away from the computer. But I also have a life ON the computer, and it’s grand!

3. Just another “amen.” Why people can’t let other people be other people is beyond me. Different strokes and all that.

Saw your comment on Darren’s post about some NECC thing (I’m in Korea and don’t plan to visit the States for a convention, so I tend to be hazy about NECC), and it was the comment struck me as wonderfully sane. I wrote a comment to say “amen” to you there too, but deleted it and just wrote a Beatles quote: “Speaking words of wisdom: ‘Let it be.'”

The e’sphere is weirdly snitty right now. We’re going through some growing pains in the New Republic. Probably a good thing in the long run. But it’s all so strangely high school.

Hey, do we follow each other? I’ll look for you. 🙂