Comment Etiquette

Just a quick post because it seems that I have once again somehow gotten into some sort of one sided verbal joust with one of my favorite bloggers.  It all started a couple weeks ago when I saw a twitter that at first read seemed a bit out of character for dwarlick.  I wanted to hear more about this thought, and so I muddled around with twitter for awhile, then realized that he could not see me, because he does not follow me.  So I let it go, and never really got to the bottom of that, no big deal.  So NOW it seems that I have somehow said something that was taken as criticism in his current post, and I really feel bad about that.  I was just thinking out loud, and I only really comment when I feel that what my brain is spitting out is worth exposing to the rest of the world.  I really didn’t meant to be a critic.  So I set out once again to find dwarlick, and apologize for any misconception of my ramblings.  I could email him, but I tend to think of that as “invasive” when I don’t really know the person.  (Except for Dembo on his B-Day) No chance of getting him on twitter-already explained that, hmmm…I could comment on his post, but I really don’t want to look like a dork…so I ask you- when something you comment on is perhaps taken the wrong way, do you see it as comment etiquette to comment again and explain?  Should I comment, or let it go?  If I don’t comment, do I risk blowing my photo opportunity at METC next month?  Is it bad to be critical when we are all trying to figure things out together? OK, these are all obviously rhetorical questions since I just linked the post here, and now it will trackback to his blog….well then, I guess this IS my apology….what would Miss Manners say about apologizing in a trackback?  Well, as I told my friend JW the other day, I have spent half my life with my foot in my mouth, so here we go again!

2 thoughts on “Comment Etiquette

1. V,

I think that perhaps I was the one who was misunderstood. Criticism is a good thing. In my mind, I honored you by singling what I read in your post and elevated it to its own blog article. I heard a very important question in your comment that is too often not addressed as we (me especially), start to fly too high with big ideas. It’s where the rubber meets the road that we should be looking — and I dearly appreciate the grounding that your comments gave to the conversation.

None of us can bring it all together in one blog post. It’s especially true of me, Mr. A.D.D. But I don’t blog to say it all. I blog to generate conversation, because I know that there’s a better chance of it’s all being said if we all engage.

So, no need for apologies. I’m the one who should apologize, because my use of the term “criticism” was taken negatively. Lots of people crticism my ideas. I’m pleased with this, because I learn from it. Some people criticize me. This is not constructive and it is counter-productive when other educators who are considering blogging see that it can expose them to this…

Anyway, thanks so much for continuing the conversation.

David Warlick

2. When I read this post, I immediately recalled a similar situation I was in just a couple of months ago. I was all set to offer my support but was instead pleasantly surprised to see that someone far more relevant to the situation stopped by first. So I think your problem has been resolved and now that photo opportunity will most likely include a very enjoyable conversation.
    Have a great day, Amy.